Dorchester 2 announces 3 of 4 new school plans and locations - WCBD-TV: News, Weather, and Sports for Charleston, SC

Dorchester 2 announces 3 of 4 new school plans and locations

Posted: Updated:

As part of the $179 million bond referendum Dorchester 2 voters approved last year, four new schools will be built. We now know where three of those four new schools will be located.

School officials announced the majority of their plans earlier today.

One elementary and one middle school will be built near the corner of Highway 61 and Summers Drive in MeadeWestvaco's East Edisto development. MeadeWestvaco is donating 60 acres or more of land for the schools. The company is also donating $2.5 million for an upgraded auditorium at the site.

They will be built using basically the same plans as the current Eagle Nest Elementary and River Oaks Middle Schools. Those schools share a campus and are connected in the middle. Each school will have their own cafeteria, but a central kitchen will be used to save money. The middle school will be the new location for Rollins Middle School of the Arts.

The current Rollins campus in downtown Summerville will be converted and turned into the new Dorchester District 2 offices.

Another elementary school will be built using the current Pye Elementary design. That school will be built on land the district purchased next to the Coastal Center off Miles Jamison Road.

Justin Farnsworth is a vice president with Citigroup, but he is also a parent who co-chairs the public oversight committee for this project. He is excited about what this means for kids. "It just alleviates the overcrowding. And really it gives a better educational opportunity overall. Instead of having 27 kids in a classroom, we can get that down to 21 or 22."

Superintendent Joe Pye says the new schools will help move kids out of mobile classrooms, and allow the district to finally catch up to the current student population. "We've been playing catch up for years. And when we open, we will have caught up. And the limited seats we have on opening day, and we should have a few, will go quickly."

Pye says he hopes to see the 3 elementary schools open by the start of school in 2015. The middle school should open shortly after that.

The 3rd elementary school that will be built has not yet been announced, because the district is still in the process of working out a land deal on that property.  That school will also use the Pye Elementary design.

  • Charleston County deputies to investigate officer involved shooting

    Charleston County deputies to investigate officer involved shooting

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 1:16 PM EDT2014-07-22 17:16:48 GMT
    Major Eric Watson with the Charleston County sheriffs office tells News 2 they’ve been called in by SLED to investigate an officer involved shooting in St. George.We're told SLED and the US Marshall's task force was there to serve a warrant just before 11 Tuesday morning at 114 Winningham Road at the Southern Inn. We're told the suspect from Connecticut is wanted for murder and probation violation. There was a short pursuit in the parking lot before the suspect drew a weapon and 2 SLED agents...
    Major Eric Watson with the Charleston County sheriffs office tells News 2 they’ve been called in by SLED to investigate an officer involved shooting in St. George.We're told SLED and the US Marshall's task force was there to serve a warrant just before 11 Tuesday morning at 114 Winningham Road at the Southern Inn. We're told the suspect from Connecticut is wanted for murder and probation violation. There was a short pursuit in the parking lot before the suspect drew a weapon and 2 SLED agents...
  • Disabled bride walks down aisle with help of hi-tech suit

    Disabled bride walks down aisle with help of hi-tech suit

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 12:20 PM EDT2014-07-22 16:20:57 GMT
    A video of a bride with a lower body disability in Italy walking down the aisle on her own with the help of a special bionic suit was released on Facebook.
    A video of a bride with a lower body disability in Italy walking down the aisle on her own with the help of a special bionic suit was released on Facebook.
  • Woman forced from her FL home after huge sinkhole appears

    Woman forced from her FL home after huge sinkhole appears

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 11:21 AM EDT2014-07-22 15:21:44 GMT
    A huge sinkhole has opened up outside a Spring Hill, Florida home. The hole is 30 feet deep and 40 feet wide and city officials have deemed the home unsafe.Now, the homeowner is forced to pack her stuff and leave just 18 months after moving in. Officials haven't determined the exact cause for the sink hole but a private contractor suspects heavy rain over the weekend may have played a role.
    A huge sinkhole has opened up outside a Spring Hill, Florida home. The hole is 30 feet deep and 40 feet wide and city officials have deemed the home unsafe.Now, the homeowner is forced to pack her stuff and leave just 18 months after moving in. Officials haven't determined the exact cause for the sink hole but a private contractor suspects heavy rain over the weekend may have played a role.
Powered by WorldNow

210 W. Coleman Blvd.
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464

Telephone: 843.216.4875
Fax: 843.881.3410
Email: news@wcbd.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.