Firefighter hurt while battling Downtown Charleston fire - WCBD-TV: News, Weather, and Sports for Charleston, SC

Firefighter hurt while battling Downtown Charleston fire

Posted: Updated:
Firefighters work to clean up after overnight fire on Bull Street. Firefighters work to clean up after overnight fire on Bull Street.
CHARLESTON, SC - At 2:45 AM emergency personnel with the City of Charleston Fire Department, St. Andrews Fire Department, Charleston County EMS and City of Charleston Police Department were alerted to a possible structure fire in the 100 block of Bull Street.

A resident of the 10 unit row house reported smelling smoke and dialed 9-1-1. Fire personnel arrived on scene at 2:50 AM and forced entry into the vacant home and discovered the fire. Emergency crews quickly evacuated the adjacent residents and rapidly searched the vacant structure while bringing the fire under control.

The fire damage was primarily contained to the first floor of the unit, with minimal fire extension to the second and third floor through wall voids, with heavy smoke damage throughout. Adjacent units suffered minimal smoke damage. “Due to a rapid response and quick actions of fire personnel the damage was contained to one unit of this historic structure.” said Deputy Chief John Tippett. One firefighter suffered a minor shoulder injury and was treated on scene.

Members of the Fire Marshal Division investigated the fire and determined the fire originated near the stove in the kitchen of the home. The electric stove was accidentally turned “on” the previous evening and ignited the combustible materials that were stored on the stove surface. A new tenant was in the process of moving into the home but was not at the residence at the time of the fire.

The Charleston Fire Department would like to remind citizens of the following:
  • Never store combustible materials on a stove or cooking surface.
  • Always maintain working smoke alarms in your home – this will improve safety of residents and it may also provide notification to neighbors or adjoining residents in your absence.
  • Check smoke alarm batteries monthly by pressing the “test” button on your alarm.
  • Change smoke alarm batteries at least once a year. We recommend changing the batteries in your smoke alarm when you change your clocks for daylight savings time.
  • Install smoke alarms inside and outside of bedrooms or living spaces. There should be a smoke alarm for each floor of your home.
  • Dorchester deputies exchange gunfire with home invasion suspects

    Dorchester deputies exchange gunfire with home invasion suspects

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 7:44 AM EDT2014-07-23 11:44:28 GMT
    Authorities are currently on the scene of Highway 27 in Dorchester County.Details are limited this morning but there is a large police presence. Right now, Ridgeville Road (Hwy 27) at Hwy 78 is closed to traffic.We have a team on scene and will bring the latest as it becomes available.
    Authorities are currently on the scene of Highway 27 in Dorchester County.Details are limited this morning but there is a large police presence. Right now, Ridgeville Road (Hwy 27) at Hwy 78 is closed to traffic.We have a team on scene and will bring the latest as it becomes available.
  • Spartanburg Woman Accused Of Biting Repo Driver Has History Of Run-Ins

    Spartanburg Woman Accused Of Biting Repo Driver Has History Of Run-Ins

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 4:17 AM EDT2014-07-23 08:17:11 GMT
    According to Spartanburg Public Safety reports, Lakeisha Smith, the woman who allegedly bit a repossession employee, has been in trouble in connection with incidents during repos twice before.
    According to Spartanburg Public Safety reports, Lakeisha Smith, the woman who allegedly bit a repossession employee, has been in trouble in connection with incidents during repos twice before.
  • Chrysler recalling more than 700,000 Jeeps due to ignition switch problem

    Chrysler recalling more than 700,000 Jeeps due to ignition switch problem

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 3:13 AM EDT2014-07-23 07:13:50 GMT
    Chrysler is recalling more than 700,00 Jeeps for an ignition switch problem.The automaker says the ignition key can be moved out of the on position, by the driver's knee while the car is being driven. This could cause the engine to stall and the airbags to stop working.It affects Jeep Commanders with model years 2006 to 2007 and Jeep Grand Cherokees with model years 2005 to 2007.Chrysler says it will contact affect customers by mid-September.
    Chrysler is recalling more than 700,00 Jeeps for an ignition switch problem.The automaker says the ignition key can be moved out of the on position, by the driver's knee while the car is being driven. This could cause the engine to stall and the airbags to stop working.It affects Jeep Commanders with model years 2006 to 2007 and Jeep Grand Cherokees with model years 2005 to 2007.Chrysler says it will contact affect customers by mid-September.
Powered by WorldNow

210 W. Coleman Blvd.
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464

Telephone: 843.216.4875
Fax: 843.881.3410
Email: news@wcbd.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.