Dorchester County officials upgrading emergency system for disas - WCBD-TV: News, Weather, and Sports for Charleston, SC

Dorchester County officials upgrading emergency system for disasters

Posted: Updated:
Dorchester County officials are working to upgrade their emergency radio systems from analog to digital. It’s a federal effort called P-25 compliance.

 The migration will allow the county to have the ability to talk to other counties and public safety officials, during a large scale disaster like a hurricane.

Dorchester County emergency officials say that over 80% of South Carolina emergency agencies use the 800 megahertz system and in a natural disaster, it’s crucial.

Mario Formisano, Director of Emergency Management for Dorchester County says, “If we don’t make the migration to P25, then our existing system will not be compatible with the Palmetto 800 megahertz system.”

simply put.. communications would drop between fire, police, dispatch in dorchester and in other neighboring counties.. during a major hurricane, earthquake, even a car accident.

Officials say, in a disaster, interoperability between agencies is crucial and officials say it doesn’t always happen.

“You can go back and look at documented large scale events involving Katrina, 9/11, some of these high profile natural and man made disasters and interoperable communications is on the list of deficiencies every time.”

It’s an expensive undertaking in a county that has a lot of agencies pulling at their coat tails for budget money.

The County will spend almost $800,000 on portable radios, vehicle radios and dispatch consoles.

Dorchester and Berkeley County officials tell News 2, they hope to have their radio systems upgraded by the end of 2015

Charleston County has been P25 compliant since 2007. 

  • Top SC neuroscientist taking position at Rutgers

    Top SC neuroscientist taking position at Rutgers

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 4:42 PM EDT2014-09-02 20:42:19 GMT
    Gary Aston-JonesGary Aston-Jones
    A top neuroscientist from the Medical University of South Carolina is joining Rutgers University as director of its recently founded Brain Health Institute. The New Jersey university announced Tuesday that Gary Aston-Jones will head the institute it created last year to conduct research into brain disorders. It includes scientists in New Brunswick, Piscataway, Newark and Camden. For the past eight years, Aston-Jones has been director of the Neuroscience Institute and the Center for Cognitive ...
    A top neuroscientist from the Medical University of South Carolina is joining Rutgers University as director of its recently founded Brain Health Institute. The New Jersey university announced Tuesday that Gary Aston-Jones will head the institute it created last year to conduct research into brain disorders. It includes scientists in New Brunswick, Piscataway, Newark and Camden. For the past eight years, Aston-Jones has been director of the Neuroscience Institute and the Center for Cognitive ...
  • Swinney: 3 suspended Clemson players to return

    Swinney: 3 suspended Clemson players to return

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 4:19 PM EDT2014-09-02 20:19:59 GMT
    CLEMSON, S.C. (AP) - Three players suspended from No. 23 Clemson's opening week at loss at Georgia are returning to face South Carolina State on Saturday.Tigers coach Dabo Swinney said that left guard David Beasley, defensive end Corey Crawford and defensive back Garry Peters would be back this week after missing the 45-21 loss to the Bulldogs because of one-game suspensions announced in March.The three, along with Shaq Anthony, an offensive lineman who announced his transfer from Clemson las...
    CLEMSON, S.C. (AP) - Three players suspended from No. 23 Clemson's opening week at loss at Georgia are returning to face South Carolina State on Saturday.Tigers coach Dabo Swinney said that left guard David Beasley, defensive end Corey Crawford and defensive back Garry Peters would be back this week after missing the 45-21 loss to the Bulldogs because of one-game suspensions announced in March.The three, along with Shaq Anthony, an offensive lineman who announced his transfer from Clemson las...
  • McClellanville man sentenced to 20 years for Georgetown nightclub shooting

    McClellanville man sentenced to 20 years for Georgetown nightclub shooting

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 3:30 PM EDT2014-09-02 19:30:24 GMT
    21-year-old Joshua Rashaun Taylor.21-year-old Joshua Rashaun Taylor.
    Thursday August 28, 2014, 21-year-old Joshua Rashaun Taylor was sentenced to 20 years in prison for Assault and Battery of a High and Aggravated Nature and a concurrent sentence of 5 years for Possession of a Weapon During the Commission of a Violent Crime.
    Thursday August 28, 2014, 21-year-old Joshua Rashaun Taylor was sentenced to 20 years in prison for Assault and Battery of a High and Aggravated Nature and a concurrent sentence of 5 years for Possession of a Weapon During the Commission of a Violent Crime.
Powered by WorldNow

210 W. Coleman Blvd.
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464

Telephone: 843.216.4875
Fax: 843.881.3410
Email: news@wcbd.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.