(WCBD) — If you relocate to a shelter, make sure to bring blankets and pillows, some food for the first day and any necessary medications and sanitary supplies. It is highly recommended that you bring your Emergency Supplies Kit.
The procedures for opening shelters changed for the 2017 hurricane season.
RELATED: News 2 Hurricane Central
Rather than having a list of shelters in advance, emergency shelters will be determined with the approach of a hurricane to South Carolina.
In the event of a hurricane or other major disaster, residents are asked to monitor local media outlets for a current list of open shelters.
During an evacuation, listen for emergency alerts on the radio and look for road signs for shelter information.
Hurricane Preparedness: General...
Hurricane Preparedness: Important...
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Officials still working to fix the gas leak on Remount Road
- Charleston Co. deputies investigating single-car crash in Adams Run
- Holly Hill man pleads guilty to Conspiracy to Smuggle Wildlife
- 2 adults found dead in South Carolina, 3 children safe