CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCBD) – Free school meals for all children will now remain for all students through the end of the year.
The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) made the announcement Monday for children attending school both in-person and virtually.
Flexibility standards created by Congress to help families through the pandemic were set to expire this month. Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue says if money runs out, the program will be restricted to families in need.
“We are legally not able to extend more than Congress has appropriated so hopefully we would not need to shorten that period of time,” said Sonny Perdue, USDA Secretary.
Lawmakers say Congress will work with the USDA to address any funding needs to make sure children continue to receive meals.
Below is a look into a few districts in the Lowcounty free school meal plans.
Georgetown School District
District will be offering free meals until December 31, 2020.
Parents are allowed to go to any of the locations in the district to pick up meals, not just the school they attend.
The district is in the process of sending out lunch cards to all registered students, so parents can pick up meals for children not present. If the child is present, they will not need to use the card for identification.
Meals can be picked up Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursday from 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Once school is switched over to the hybrid phase of the school year, an updated meal pick up schedule will be posted.
For more information, you can contact the district at 843-436-7077.
Dorchester District Two
Dorchester School District Two will offer the curbside meal service program while students are eLearning from home beginning September 8th.
All students, including those enrolled in the district’s Virtual Academy, are eligible to participate in the curbside meal service program.
All meals will be served Monday through Friday between the hours of 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. On-Site registration will be required at your selected school site on the first day that you participate in the program.
Meal pickup will be available at seven sites that include:
- Alston Bailey Elementary: 820 West 5th North St., Summerville, SC
- Dr. Eugene Sires Elementary: 301 Chandler Creek Rd., Summerville, SC
- Fort Dorchester High 8500 Patriot Blvd., Summerville, SC
- Flowertown Elementary 20 King Charles Circle, Summerville, SC
- Oakbrook Elementary 306 Old Fort Drive, Ladson, SC
- Sand Hill Elementary: 324 Gnarly Oak Lane, Summerville, SC
- William Reeves, Jr. Elementary: 1003 Dubose School Rd., Summerville, SC
For more information, click here.
Charleston County School District
The district will be offering free breakfast and lunch meals for all students throughout the remainder of the year.
Charleston County School District will be offering food through a curbside pick up service Monday – Friday for their students.
Meals, foods and beverages sold or served at schools meet state and federal requirements which are based on the USDA Dietary Guidelines.
Colleton County School District
Free meal pick up will begin Tuesday for all students in the Colleton County School District.
CCSD meal pick up schedule will vary between virtual and blended learning students.
- Virtual pick-up days are Tuesday and Friday from 11:00 A.M. until 12:30 P.M.
- Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday meals can be picked up on Tuesday of each week.
- Friday and Monday meals can be picked up on Friday of each week.
- All schools will serve AA blended student’s meals on Monday and Tuesday and send home meals for Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday with students on Tuesday at dismissal.
- All schools will serve BB blended schedule student’s meals on Thursday and Friday and send home meals for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday with students on Friday at dismissal.
If any parents or student family members are unable to pick-up a meal during the above 11:00 – 12:30 time frame due to extenuating circumstances, please email Ellen Fitch at firstname.lastname@example.org so accommodations can be discussed.
Each school will have a different meal pick up station. For more information, you can check on their website.