MONCURE, N.C. (WNCN) – Seven people are dead following a murder-suicide on Sunday in Moncure, the Chatham County Sheriffs Office said.
Deputies first responded to a “shots fired” call off of Moncure Flatwood Road shortly after 5:30 p.m. on Sunday.
Once on scene, it became apparent that the shooting extended to more than one residence.
The event is not believed to be random but the motive is unknown at this time.
The suspected shooter and victims were all members of the same family, the sheriff’s office said.
Investigators worked through the night to process the scene and piece together more details.
So far, a total of seven people have been confirmed dead, including the suspected shooter.
The names of the deceased are as follows:
Jeanie Ray, 67
Helen Mason, 93
Ellis Mansfield, 73
Lisa Mansfield, 54
John Paul Sanderford, 41
Nicole Sanderford, 39
Larry Ray, 66
“Our hearts go out to the families and friends of the victims of this terrible tragedy,” says Sheriff Mike Roberson. “To lose any family member is devastating, but to lose several at once to unexpected violence is unimaginable. There are no words to describe the sense of loss we feel as a community in the wake of this terrible event.”
The Chatham County Sheriff’s Office and North Carolina SBI remain on scene Monday morning.
- Isle of Palms Fire Chief Ann Graham to retire after 35 years with the department
- CAS offering rewards for information that leads to arrests in two animal cruelty cases
- SC lawmakers to consider home alcohol deliveries in 2021
- Federal student loans payments and interest pause to continue into 2021
- Middleton’s Village to Village Foundation: A driving force in helping Lowcountry families