ONLY ON 2: City of Charleston identifying new ways to mitigate impacts of flooding

News

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCBD) – Charleston leaders are finding new ways to solve an old problem in the city: flooding.

Teaming up with the Army Corps of Engineers, researchers conducted a study to gain insight on the effects of inland and high-tide flooding.

“This is going to look inside at inland flooding that may be coming from rain or even high-tide flooding,” says Mark Wilbert, who serves as Special Policy Advisor to City of Charleston Mayor John Tecklenburg.

The study is a three-year review of the city’s drainage system estimated to cost three million dollars. When finished, the study will provide recommendations on the best approach to fix the city’s drainage systems.

“This is just step one right? So the opportunity is there,” says Wilbert. “We still have to get this appropriated and we are going to be working closely with our federal delegation to get this appropriated.”

If the city moves forward with recommendations provided by the Army Corps of Engineers, they would split the cost of the work with the federal government.

The federal government would pay roughly 65% of the total cost leaving the city with the other 35%.

“At this point, we all understand the threat our city faces from flooding,” says Tecklenburg. “And we know that without bold action, the future can only be one of surrender and retreat.”

Wilbert agrees:

“The rate of rain, the amount of rain that we’re getting in the short duration of time that we are getting is challenging all of our systems,” says Wilbert. “We’re really firing right now on all cylinders, tackling flooding from all angles. It’s just a lot of work.”

City leaders say once the feasibility study is complete, a determination on whether or not construction work is needed will be made.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

DOWNLOAD THE APP!

Click for latest news and information

TRENDING HEADLINES

Join our daily newsletter!