Charleston Co. Council votes to look into demolition of former Naval Hospital

Local News

CHARLESTON COUNTY, S.C. (WCBD)– On Thursday, Charleston County Council approved a motion 7 to 1 to have “staff coordinate with consultants on options for demolition and construction subject to the IFB.” 

The vote followed a two hour executive session where construction experts and engineers are said to have advised council on possible paths forward. 

In 2017, the county purchased the former Naval Hospital building for $33 million as the result of a lawsuit.

Over the past several years local leaders expressed interest in remodeling the current building to create a social services hub for the county while offering space for private businesses. 

Earlier this year, experts said the redevelopment project involving the current building would cost about $66 million because of the buildings current state of disrepair.

Council members including Dickie Schweers spoke out against the project saying it was simply too costly. 

https://www.counton2.com/news/local-news/charleston-co-council-defers-old-naval-hospital-renovations-again/1207126121

Charleston County Council is now looking into constructing a new building on the property to better serve their needs. 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

TRENDING HEADLINES