Fire officials: Overloaded extension cords sparked fire that destroyed shed

Charleston County News

WEST ASHLEY, SC (WCBD) – Fire officials say an extension cord is to blame for a fire that destroyed a shed early Thursday morning.

According to Capt. Kevin Berkel with the St. Andrews Fire Dept., crews were dispatched to a home on Belgrade Avenue in West Ashley around 6:00 a.m. after a caller reported an outside fire.

Fire crews observed a fire burning at a detached shed on the property. The fire was extinguished in approximately 20 minutes; Their quick work saved the nearby home from also catching fire.

Capt. Berkel said the shed was completely destroyed by the fire.

During an investigation into the origin of the fire, the fire marshal determined that the fire was caused by failure of overloaded extension cords that were run to the shed from the residence.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


WCBD News app graphic_1558160087567.png.jpg

Click for latest news and information