JOINT BASE CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCBD) – Joint Base Charleston (JBC) on Monday entered Health Protection Condition (HPCON) Bravo due to the increase in community COVID-19 cases.
HPCON Bravo indicates an outbreak or heightened risk of exposure to a health risk or disease either on the base or within the surrounding community.
Under HPCON Bravo, JBC will continue operating normal schedules, but has implemented mask requirements for anyone on base.
Masks are required for everyone indoors, regardless of vaccination status.
Vaccinated individuals may choose not to wear masks outdoors, but unvaccinated individuals are required to wear masks outdoors as well.
Exceptions to mask wearing include the following, according to JBC:
- Religious beliefs
- Underlying health conditions
- When outdoors and social distancing
- When actively participating in physical fitness with social distancing
- When alone in a vehicle or with members of the same household
- When it interferes with the proper use of PPE needed to accomplish military duties
- When eating or drinking
- When alone in an office
Vaccinated individuals may choose to practice social distancing while on base, but unvaccinated individuals are required to practice social distancing.
The Department of Defense (DoD) is encouraging all service members to get vaccinated, but has not yet instituted a vaccinated requirement.