NCFD urges safe use of electrical circuits after family escapes mobile home fire

Charleston County News
NCFD Truck_2599

NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCBD) – The North Charleston Fire Department (NCFD) is reminding people not to overload electrical circuits, after a family escaped a Monday morning mobile home fire.

According to NCFD, crews were dispatched to Hayne Street around 10:27 a.m. and found an active fire in a mobile home.

Two adults and four children were able to evacuate the home while firefighters initiated a fire attack. No injuries have been reported, and the Red Cross is assisting the family.

NCFD says that the fire was likely caused by an overloaded electrical circuit, and reminded the public of the following tips:

  • Don’t overload extension cords with appliances like air conditioners.
  • Extension cords should only be used temporarily.
  • Don’t use extension cords that are cracked or damage.
  • Electrical work should only be done by a qualified electrician.
  • Home electrical fire deaths peak between midnight and 8 a.m.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

DOWNLOAD THE APP!

WCBD News app graphic_1558160087567.png.jpg

Click for latest news and information

TRENDING HEADLINES