NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCBD) – The Palmetto SC Region of the Red Cross is deploying disaster workers to Alabama and Florida as the gulf region braces for two tropical storms in the coming weeks.
10 volunteers will leave within the next two days, and more will be sent if needed. Those heading out include:
- Brian Waymire, Pawleys Island
- Chris Austin, Pawleys Island
- Nona Mason, Ladson
- Gary Thurman, Conway
- Bill Martin, Isle of Palms
- Julienne Correa, Greenville
- Bruce Devoe, Simpsonville
- Sheri Bodnar, Upstate
- Peter Bacigalupi, Upstate
- Terry Barcelona, Mauldin (will offer virtual logistics support)
According to the Red Cross, the volunteers have been screened for COVID-19, and have “completed COVID-19 operating procedure training.”
The Red Cross has “pre-positioned shelter and relief supplies” from Florida to Texas, as the exact path of the storms is still unclear.