There is no guarantee of protection, but sandbags wall may help to reduce damage cause by flood waters.
Please consider these tips prior to beginning your sandbagging project.
- Only fill ½ to 2/3’s of each bag. Overfull bags are heavy and may not stack or compact well.
- Place a tarp or plastic down and build the wall on top. Pull excess plastic over the wall to create a solid surface to deflect running water and help reduce seepage.
- Build a wide base. A general rule is that the base should be at least as wide at the height. Single stack bags rows should not be over 1 foot tall and no sand bag wall should be more than 4 feet tall.
- Bags should be place in a staggered manner, like bricks in a wall, and tapped down firmly. This will help to eliminate voids and failure.
- Always attempt to leave a space between the structure and the sand bag wall.