COLLETON COUNTY, S.C. (WCBD) – The American Red Cross is assisting a family after a fire damaged their home on Ritter Road Saturday afternoon.

The fire happened at a duplex apartment around 9:00 a.m. when a resident smelled smoke and discovered flames coming from the front windows of a nearby apartment.

Residents were able to get out of the apartment and call 911.

According to Colleton County Fire Rescue, crews arrived to find heavy smoke conditions and flames coming from the front window on the west side of the building.

Fire officials used hand lands to extinguish the fire from the outside of the building.

One apartment received heavy fire damage. The family lost most of their belongings and is receiving support from the American Red Cross.

The adjoining apartment suffered damage to the attic and smoke damage.

No injuries were reported.

Units were on the scene for nearly two hours investigating.

Reports say the cause of the fire appears to have been electrical and started at an outlet in a front bedroom.