Crews quickly extinguish fire at popular downtown barbeque restaurant

Local News

CHARLESTON, SC (WCBD) – Fire crews were dispatched to a popular downtown barbeque restaurant over the weekend after a fire sparked in the smokehouse.

The fire happened just after 11:00 a.m. Sunday at Rodney Scott’s BBQ on King Street.

Officials with the Charleston Fire Department say crews arrived in less than four minutes and reported flames venting from the roof area of the smokehouse, which is a separate structure from the primary restaurant.

Fire crews were able to get the fire under control in less than 10 minutes.

At the time of the incident, fire officials say the staff was actively preparing two hogs in one of the cooking areas within the smokehouse. Employees noted excessive smoke and then fire from the smoker.

The staff reportedly worked to control the fire with an extinguisher and then proceeded to evacuate the building and call 911.

Thankfully, no injuries were reported.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

News Across the Lowcountry

More Charleston County News
More Berkeley County News
More Dorchester County News
More Georgetown County News
More Colleton County News

DON'T MISS

More Don't Miss