CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCBD) – Dominion Energy is offering tips to help customers save money during cold winter months.
When cold weather hits, Dominion Energy says energy use often increases – that is why they are offering tips to help customers be more energy efficient and comfortable while at home this winter.
“Colder temperatures during the winter months can make a big impact on a customer’s electric and natural gas usage and ultimately their bill,” said Ginger Greenway, program manager, energy conservation for Dominion Energy South Carolina. “There are several simple things customers can do around their homes to help conserve energy, and in return, possibly lower their energy bills.”
The utility provider says customers can manage heating costs by trying five simple energy-saving tips:
- Set the thermostat to 68 degrees or lower while at home. Save more by setting the thermostat
even lower while sleeping and when away from home. A programmable or smart thermostat can
automatically lower the temperature to maximize savings.
- Check heating and air conditioning filters regularly. Dirty filters not only increase energy
usage, they can also damage an HVAC system.
- Weather-strip doors and caulk around seams, cracks and openings to keep the cold air
out. Ensure the home is sealed tight by checking for ductwork leaks or tears. Repair fallen or
crushed ductwork with mastic to seal leaks, and duct wrap can be used to insulate ductwork that
passes through unconditioned spaces.
- Adjust drapes and blinds according to the time of day. To benefit from the sun’s natural
warmth, keep drapes and blinds open during daylight hours. Close them during the night to
reduce the chill from cold windows. Also, insulated or heavy curtains – especially on north-facing
windows – may help keep out the cold air.
- Consider adjusting the water heater’s thermostat to 120 degrees. Although many
manufacturers set water thermostats at 140 degrees, most households usually only require them
to be set at 120 degrees. Check the manufacturer’s guidelines about temperature settings.
You can also look into certain programs offered by Dominion Energy to help decrease energy use. These programs are subject to certain terms and conditions for eligible residential electric customers.
• EnergyWise Online Savings Store offers discounts on smart thermostats, LED light bulbs,
advanced power strips and more.
• Appliance Recycling Program enables customers to receive $50 cashback when recycling full-sized refrigerators or freezers.
• Heating & Cooling Equipment Program allows customers to receive rebates toward the cost of
purchasing and installing new Energy Star-qualified central air conditioning systems and heat
pumps, as well as making ductwork improvements in existing residences.
• Home Energy Check-up provides free in-home consultations with energy experts to help identify
ways to improve a home’s energy efficiency. The program is currently available virtually by video
chat or telephone.
Storm Team 2 says low temperatures will reach into the low 30s this week before a brief warm-up by the weekend