JOHNS ISLAND, S.C. (WCBD) – We are learning new details surrounding the disappearance of Heidi Todd. The 4-year-old disappeared Tuesday from her home on Johns Island.

According to an affidavit, Heidi’s mother dropped off two of her children at school and returned to her home to Johns Island on Tuesday, February 13. She told investigators she returned home between 8 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. and had three of her children with her.

As she entered her home, she was attacked from behind by a male with a knife. “The attacker pusher her into the home and tackled her to the ground,” the affidavit added.

We’re told the attacker physically assaulted her, causing facial fractures and brain bleeding, among other significant injuries.

Following the incident, authorities were notified when no one picked up the two children she dropped off at school that morning.

At about 5:50 p.m., Charleston Police conducted a welfare check. When officers arrived, “they could see evidence inside consistent with a physical assault,” an affidavit stated.

RELATED: Complete coverage of Heidi Todd’s disappearance

The 4-year-old’s mother met officers at the door. “Officers could see that she had significant facial trauma and markings as if she had been tied up.”

Officers and first responders were able to find two of her children but were unable to locate Heidi.

The mother told investigators that when she was attacked and assaulted, she told Heidi to run and hide. She was then continually assaulted by the male, according to the affidavit.

She was admitted to the hospital due to her injuries, “which has necessitated extensive treatment.”

At 7:29 a.m. on Wednesday, investigators learned that an “electronic access device” belonging to the 4-year-old’s mother was used at a gas station in Greensboro, Georgia.

Video surveillance from the gas station showed a male wearing a blue t-shirt attempting to use the item.

A car belonging to the suspect could not be identified on the video due to the angle of the video camera, but the video camera did capture the man’s face and features, authorities shared in the affidavit.

After law enforcement in Charleston put out several bulletins of the missing toddler, on February 14, Police Chief Rick Oliver, in Riverside, Alabama, received a call regarding a suspicious vehicle parked near railroad tracks.

Chief Oliver located the car, a blue Chevy Impala with Illinois tags, and approached the car.

When he got closer, he saw a little girl in the car wearing adult sized clothing. He spoke to the driver and noticed the odor of intoxicants.

After confirming the driver was Thomas Lawton Evans, Jr., Chief Oliver got the 4-year-old out of the car. We’re told when he did that, Evans got back into the car and drove away.

The child was confirmed to be Heidi Todd.Keep checking for real-time updates on this story. To get breaking news alerts, download the free News 2 App for iPhone or Android. You can also sign up for email alerts.