According to SCDOT, crews will not shut down I26 to work on the Port Access Roadway Project Monday night, due to the emergency closure of the Wando bridge on I526.
On Tuesday, they will watch the weather and traffic to determine if they will shut it down.
Lane closures will impact traffic on Interstate 26 near downtown Charleston through Wednesday.
Construction crews plan to install steel girders on the new ramp from I-26 to Meeting Street.
According to a news release, the work, originally scheduled last week, was delayed due to “unforseen circumstances” surrounding the complex nighttime operation.
The South Carolina Department of Transportation and its contractor reevaluated the operation before setting a new timeline.
The girder installation will take place over several nights because of the complicated nature of the work.
Daniel Burton, SCDOT Resident Construction Engineer, says the girders are six-feet tall and range from 99 to 194 feet in length. Each section weighs between 14 and 18 tons.
Lane Closures and Detour Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday: May 14 – 16
I-26 Westbound, between Exit 219 (Mount Pleasant St.) and Exit 216 (Cosgrove Ave.)
- Single and then dual lane closures to begin at 7 pm.
- All closures will be cleared by 6 am the next morning.
- Single, and then dual, lane closures to begin at 7 pm.
- Full detour to begin at 11 pm, see below for detour route.
- All closures and detours will be cleared by 5 am the next morning.