Mother seeks justice after nude videos of daughter circulate

Local News

BERKELEY COUNTY, S.C. (WCBD) – A mother is seeking justice after nude videos of her daughter circulated on snap chat. 

Remaining anonymous, a mother is enraged and embarrassed after nude videos of her daughter were shared through snap chat. 

“I’m just two seconds away from breaking down completely,” the mother said. 

The mother recounts the day she says changed her daughter’s life forever. 

“Monday evening, she came home, and one of her friends reached out to her and said hey I just got two nude videos of you on snap chat sent from this boy in our class,” she said.

 

The mother told News 2’s Deanne Roberts that two videos of her daughter taking a shower at her friend’s house, while she was completely naked, were taken by her daughter’s friend in the summer of 2017. Last Monday, the friend sent that video to a boy. According to a Berkeley County Sheriffs Office incident report, the girl admitted to sending the video to the boy, and the boy admitted to sharing the video to another person while riding on an athletic bus headed to Cane Bay High School for football practice. All students involved attend Sangaree Middle School, according to the mother. 

The mother says the video has been shared to multiple people. In fact, she believes not only have students at Sangaree seen and shared the video, but also students at Cane Bay High School. 

The mother says she doesn’t know what prompted the girl to send the videos of her daughter out. She says her daughter asked the girl, but never got a direct answer. 

“She said she didn’t know and you can’t trust anyone but a giraffe,” she said. 

According to the report, based off an interview of one of the students involved, one of the videos showed the victim naked in the shower for a couple of seconds and then shows her immediately covering herself with a shower curtain. 

The mother says the other video is of her daughter completely naked for approximately three seconds as she washed her hair in the shower. 

Once the mother learned that the videos had been shared of her daughter, she sprung into action. 

“I went up to the school first thing Tuesday morning,” she said. 

The mother says she filed a police report, spoke to the school’s principal, school administrators and the Berkeley County School District to see if they could do something. 

“I was basically told nothing could be done,” she said. 

The mother tells me while filing the police report, she asked if she could press charges. The mother says BCSO says she was not legally capable of pressing charges because the videos were not of sexual nature. Although, the mother disagrees. 

“They didn’t look at the videos before sending the report,” she said. “How will they know if the videos aren’t sexual if they haven’t seen them?”

BCSO said they are sending a follow-up report, but can not confirm that it is because of viewing the videos after sending the original report. 

The original reports says the students were suspended for several days. The mom says it was three days, and she believes that is not enough. 

“There wasn’t much justice done,” she says. 

The victim’s aunt, Melissa Crim, agrees. 


“Honestly it’s not surprising the Berkeley County School District has done nothing, Crim said. “First of all the video should have never been taped, and second of all the video shouldn’t have been shared whatsoever.” 

The victim’s 13-year-old cousin says as a teenager, she knows this is wrong. 

“I’m 13 and she’s a little older than me, and she knew what she was doing when she took the video, she knew what she was doing when she sent the video, and just because you apologize does not make it right,” the victim’s cousin said. 

The mother of the victim says her daughter is now being bullied, so she is no longer attending Sangaree Middle School. At the end of the day, the mother says she’s staying strong for her daughter as she continues to fight. 

“They need their lives disrupted, they need to feel the impact of this,” she said. “I don’t even know where I gained my strength from but I know if I don’t, I won’t be taken seriously.”

News 2 attempted to reach out to the family of the girl who sent the video, but was told they did not want to be interviewed. This situation is still being investigated. 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

News Across the Lowcountry

More Charleston County News
More Berkeley County News
More Dorchester County News
More Georgetown County News
More Colleton County News

DON'T MISS

More Don't Miss