CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCBD) – An excavator accidentally struck a gas line, prompting some evacuations at MUSC’s Shawn Jenkins Children’s Hospital on Tuesday.
Officials responded to a suspected gas leak around 3:00 p.m. at the hospital on Calhoun Street.
A witness at the hospital said the leak may have been on the south side of the building and said people were asked to evacuate to the north side.
An MUSC spokesman said people were asked to avoid until the all-clear was given.
Dominion Energy spokesman Paul Fischer said the gas leak was the result of an accidental line strike from a third-party excavator who was performing work in the area.
Fischer said the leak was secured before 4:00 p.m.