ORANGEBURG, S.C. (WCBD) – Students at Orangeburg-Wilkinson High School will return with enhanced safety protocols and an amended schedule after a Wednesday afternoon shooting in the parking lot left three students injured.
The students have since been released from the hospital and are expected to make full recoveries.
Officials acknowledged that “it will take some time to recover from the fear and trauma,” and are keeping counseling services available as long as they are needed.
The following enhanced safety measures will be in place beginning Monday:
- The bell schedule will be adjusted with classes beginning at 8:55 a.m. and ending at 3:55 p.m. Officials say that the new schedule leaves less idle time during dismissal.
- Students will be cleared through metal detectors upon entry.
- Clear bookbags will be required and bag checks will be implemented.
- Private security officers have been contracted for the remainder of the school year.
- Local law enforcement will be on hand temporarily to assist with arrival and dismissal.