Several students allegedly ill after moving into C of C residence hall

Local News

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCBD)– College of Charleston is responding to concerns about the air quality in the Marcia Kelly McAlister Hall. 

Several students we spoke to say they are suffering from symptoms including throat pain, headaches, and trouble breathing. 

Rod Combs says his concerns first began when he moved his daughter, Caroline, into the residence hall. He says they spent hours cleaning the room that had visible stains, dust, and moisture damage. 

Several other parents reached out to News 2 with similar concerns.

In a letter to parents College of Charleston’s Vice President for Facilities Management John P. Morris writes, “We have been aggressively addressing any areas that are identified as actually having mold.” 

The letter goes on to say that many of the latest instances have been identified as accumulated dust. 

Officials say they have been conducting systematic room checks. The also say, “their initial reports indicate that the air quality is well within acceptable levels.” 

Pulmonary critical care physician, Doctor John Rucker with Trident Medical Center, says people with auto immune diseases are most at risk of getting infected with mold but it is not unusual for people to suffer from allergic reactions to mold. 

“For most people it is more of an allergic type reaction or a hypersensitivity reaction where they develop respiratory symptoms including sore throat, cough, sinus drainage, and itchy eyes,” said Dr. Rucker

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

News Across the Lowcountry

More Charleston County News
More Berkeley County News
More Dorchester County News
More Georgetown County News
More Colleton County News

DON'T MISS

More Don't Miss