Smoke alarm alerts family to early morning house fire caused by ‘electrical failure’

Local News

NORTH CHARLESTON, SC (WCBD) – Fire crews were dispatched to the scene of a house fire in North Charleston early Monday morning.

According to Deputy Chief Stephanie Julazadeh with the North Charleston Fire Department, the resident was awoken by a smoke alarm just after 2:30 a.m. along Iron Street.

Upon arrival, crews saw smoke pouring from the eaves of the home. They made entry and were able to extinguish a fire in the kitchen wall and attic space.

Firefighters removed to birds from the smoke-filled residence, according to Julazadeh. Two adults and two children were displaced because of the damage.

Thankfully no injuries were reported. The cause of the fire was determined to be an electrical failure in the attic space.

North Charleston Fire Chief Gregory Bulanow reminds citizens about the importance of having working, unobstructed smoke detectors in your home or business.

“Half of all home fire deaths happen at night when people are sleeping,” said Chief Bulanow. “So install one on every level of your home, in every bedroom and outside all sleeping areas.”

The department recommends making sure that everyone in the home knows how to get outside and where to meet if the smoke alarm sounds.

Deputy Chief Julazadeh said a smoke alarm with a dead or missing battery is the same as having no smoke alarm at all. Resolve to test all your smoke alarms to make sure that they are working.

They say you should replace your smoke alarms when they are 10 years old or if they don’t make a sound when you test them.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

DOWNLOAD THE APP!

WCBD News app graphic_1558160087567.png.jpg

Click for latest news and information

TRENDING HEADLINES