SUMMERVILLE, SC (WCBD) - A judge has sentenced a Summerville man to 20 years in prison for a child sex crime.
According to the First Circuit Solicitor's Office, a Dorchester County jury convicted 58-year-old Vernon Cooley of criminal sexual conduct with a minor in the 2nd degree.
"I would like to commend the victim for coming forward to tell someone about the abuse and remaining strong throughout the entire process," said Assistant Solicitor Sheila Mims.
According to the Solicitor's Office, jurors deliberated for about 90 minutes before reaching a verdict.
"I hope this verdict will give the victim the closure she needs to move on from these events," said Assistant Solicitor Ryan Templeton.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Lowcountry man charged with sexually assaulting a minor
- Charleston businessman Ben Navarro buys Volvo Car Open
- Police: Man arrested after attempted murder shooting in N. Charleston
- City of Charleston announces final approval for Waterfront Park Expansion