SUMMERVILLE, S.C. (WCBD) - On Friday, Summerville town staff and others celebrated the opening of the Marymeade Drive Extension.
The extension is a town project that connects the road to Jockey Court, near the BJ's Wholesale Club and North Main Street.
Officials say the new 1500-foot section of road is part of the town's vision plan to increase connectivity and relieve congestion.
"It's a closer way to get on the interstate from the Berlin Myers [Parkway] instead of going through those intersections," said Russ Cornette, Summerville Town Engineer. "Any connectivity you can provide was going to give some relief to traffic."
The project is also the first road project that the town itself has completed. Other road projects in the immediate area are usually conducted by counties or the South Carolina Department of Transportation.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Mother Emanuel AME Church celebrates 200 years
- 24-year-old man shot in the head in Colleton County
- Woman dead following boating accident near Dewees Inlet
- Officials identify victims in Hemingway homicide