CHARLESTON, SC (WCBD) – With Tropical Storm Warnings in place for much of the Lowcountry, many area schools and businesses have announced closings and cancellations.
The tri-county area is expected to see heavy rain, strong wind and isolated tornadoes as now-Tropical Storm Michael moves across the region Wednesday into Thursday.
We will continue to update our list and keep you informed. To submit your closing or cancellation, please click here.
SCHOOLS AND COLLEGES
– Charleston County School District schools and offices will be closed on Thursday, October 11, 2018. All afterschool activities, sporting events and extended day programs will be canceled as well. Officials plan to resume normal scheduled operations on Friday, October 12.
– Berkeley County School District to close all schools and offices on Thursday, October 11, 2018. All after school day care programs and afterschool activities will also be canceled Thursday, October 11.
– Dorchester School District Two and Four will close schools and all facilities on Thursday, October 11th in anticipation of the potential impacts caused by Hurricane Michael.
– Georgetown County School District will close schools and all facilities for all students and employees on Thursday, October 11th.
– Williamsburg County School District will be closed Thursday, October 11 and will operate on a two-hour delay for students and a one-hour delay for staff on Friday, October 12. All extracurricular activities, after-school programs and athletic events are canceled for Thursday.
– Williamsburg Technical College classes have been canceled for Thursday, October 11th, and the college will be closed.
– Orangeburg County School Districts – Districts 3, 4 & 5 will dismiss early Wednesday & closed Thursday.
– Orangeburg-Calhoun Technical College – will close Wednesday at 5pm. Changes to Thursday’s schedule will be announced on Wednesday, October 10th.
– Colleton County School District administration will close schools on Thursday, October 11. Officials will closely monitor weather on Thursday evening to determine a decision regarding school on Friday, October 12.
The office will be closed starting at 12pm on Wednesday and remain closed until Monday, October 15, 2018, at 9:00AM.
– First Baptist School will be closed on Thursday, October 11, 2018.
– Palmetto Christian Academy will be closed on Thursday, October 11.
– Saint Leo University – North Charleston Education Center will close Thursday, October 11th. We anticipate reopening on Friday, October 12th.
– Mevers School of Excellence will be closed Thursday. There will be no aftercare or after school activities Wednesday. We will continue to monitor the storm in regards to Friday.
– Claflin University – Will close at 5pm Wednesday and remain closed until 8:00 a.m. Friday.
– Trident Literacy will be closed Thursday, October 11 and is expected to reopen Monday, October 15.
– The College of Charleston is canceling all classes and college events for Thursday, October 11.
– Trident Technical College will cancel all classes and close the college Thursday.
– Clemson University’s Charleston locations will be closed Thursday. That includes the Clemson Design Center at The Cigar Factory and the Clemson University Restoration Institute and Zucker Family Graduate Education Center in North Charleston.
– Trident Academy will be closed Thursday, October 11.
– University School of the Lowcountry will be closed Thursday.
– The Charleston School of Law will be closed for classes Thursday, The school expects to be open on Friday.
– Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University Charleston and North Charleston campuses will be closed, Thursday, October 11.
– Citadel classes and activities are canceled Thursday, Oct. 11.
– First Baptist CEDC Daycare in Moncks Corner will be closed Thursday and plans to reopen Friday.
BUSINESSES, OFFICES & SERVICES
– MUSC will be closed and all classes are canceled for Thursday, Oct. 11. We expect to resume normal operation on Friday, Oct. 12. All dental clinics are canceled for Oct. 11.
At this time, normal clinical operations for the MUSC Health hospital system and clinics are expected for the rest of the week.
– Lowcountry Regional EMS Council EMS – programs will be canceled starting Wednesday, October 10, 2018 and will resume on Monday, October 15, 2018. All clinical rotations are canceled starting Wednesday, October 10, 2018 and may resume one Saturday, October 13, 2018.
– Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum will close to visitors on Thursday, October 11.
– All South Carolina Federal Credit Union financial centers will be closed Thursday, October 11.
– Charleston Cosmetology Institute in North Charleston will be closed Thursday, will resume Friday with normal hours.
– East Cooper Community Outreach (ECCO) will be closed for services tomorrow, Thursday, October 11.
– South Carolina Aquarium Will be Closed Thurs., Oct. 11, 2018
– Berkeley Industries is closed on Thursday.
CITY, COUNTY & GOVERNMENT
– All Dorchester County Administrative Offices and Courts will close at 3:00 PM today, Wednesday, October 10th and will remain closed tomorrow, Thursday, October 11th.
– Disabilities Board of Charleston County, Administrative Offices, Charles Webb Center, HASCI, and our Day services will be closed on Thursday, October 11, 2018. They plan to resume normal operations Friday.
– All Beaufort County government offices and facilities will be closed tomorrow, Thursday, October 11.
– Georgetown City Council meeting – Due to pending inclement weather, the October 10, 2018 Special Meeting of Georgetown City Council has been canceled.
– Mossy Oaks Drainage Task Force Meeting – This meeting has been postponed.
– All James Island Public Service District offices will be closed Thursday, October. Solid Waste Service crews will work diligently to collect what debris they can before closing today. Thursday customers will get Roll-Cart Garbage Service on FRIDAY. Remaining Yard Debris and Bulk Items (within ordinance limits) will be picked up on the regular schedule next week.
– Charleston County Public Library will close all branches and book drops Thursday. Patrons are asked not to leave items outside book drops.
– All Charleston County Park and Recreation Commission parks and facilities (with the exception of the campground at James Island County Park) will close be Thursday.
– Charleston Water System offices will be closed Thursday and will re-open Friday with normal business hours.
– Charleston Music Hall – Steven Wright show scheduled for this Thursday, Oct. 11th has been cancelled. All tickets will be refund automatically from their original point of purchase.