MOUNT PLEASANT, SC (WCBD) – Wando High School was temporarily placed in Code Yellow due to a gas leak near the school Wednesday morning.
A school announcement went to parents and guardians detailing the incident.
In the message, principal Sherry Eppelsheimer said school officials were notified of a gas leak on a practice field behind the school’s main building just before 10:00 a.m.
Both the Mount Pleasant Fire Department and SCE&G quickly responded to the situation.
Out of an abundance of caution, Eppelsheimer said students were relocated from nearby trailer-classrooms to the gymnasium.
She said the school was placed in a code yellow to prevent children from walking outside while the issue was being addressed.
Authorities later gave the all-clear, and classes resumed as normal.