CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCBD)- Soft shell crab season has returned to the Lowcountry, and local restaurants are busy preparing dishes that are sure to have your mouth watering.
Soft shell crabs, or “softies,” are Atlantic blue crabs that have molted their exoskeleton and are harvested before they can grow a new one, leaving a soft exterior. This means that almost the entire animal can be eaten, rather than having to peel the shell off to get to the meat.
The season in South Carolina typically runs from late March to early June but varies depending on water temperatures.
So whether you have been counting down the days to softie season or want to try it for the first time, here’s where you can order soft shell crab in Charleston*:
The Royal Tern
- 3005 Maybank Highway, Johns Island, SC 29455
Brasserie la Banque
- 1 Broad St, Charleston, SC 29401
Delaney Oyster House
- 115 Calhoun St, Charleston, SC 29401
Edison James Island
- 1014 Fort Johnson Rd, Charleston, SC 29412
- 18 Pinckney St, Charleston, SC 29401
- 267 Rutledge Ave, Charleston, SC 29403
- 32 River Landing Dr, Daniel Island, SC 29492
Pearlz Oyster Bar
- 153 E Bay St, Charleston, SC 29401
Betty Lou’s Bistro
- 2408 Ashley River Rd, Charleston, SC 29414
The Tomato Shed
- 842 Main Rd, Johns Island, SC 29455
- 130 Mill St, Mt Pleasant, SC 29464
Have you heard of another local restaurant offering soft shell crab? Let us know!
Editor’s Note: Check with each restaurant for current availability.