RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – Authorities in North Carolina say a 10-month-old baby died at a day care after choking on a pine cone.
Raleigh police spokeswoman Laura Hourigan says the incident occurred Wednesday when the baby found the pinecone in the yard outside “A Hug A Day”, a daycare in southeast Raleigh.
Records from the state Department of Health and Human Services show the day care has a three-star license, with several violations documented in January, including having more than five children present and not showing proof that infants were visually checked every 15 minutes while sleeping. Those violations were corrected by the next check in February.
On Thursday, the department announced the day care’s license had been suspended.
No one at the day care answered a phone call seeking comment Thursday. Hourigan said an investigation is continuing.