CHARLOTTE, N.C. (FOX 46 CHARLOTTE) – A robbery suspect and CMPD exchanged gunfire during a dangerous incident overnight Sunday in southwest Charlotte, authorities said.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police responded to calls regarding an assault around 3:30 a.m. Sunday near Steele Creek Road at a convenience store.
CMPD officers encountered a robbery suspect and the suspect fired shots at the officers and one officer returned fire, the police report indicated.
FOX 46 confirmed that no officers were injured during the incident.
The suspect fled the scene in a vehicle and a chase ensued, ending near 2100 S. Tryon St when the suspect crashed into a utility pole.
The suspect, who suffered a gunshot wound during the officer-involved shooting, was taken into custody and was transported to the hospital where he is being treated for injuries.
This remains an active investigation.
- High-risk military beneficiaries 16 and older can now receive COVID-19 vaccine at Fort Bragg
- Family wants Berkeley County coroner to open new inquest in the 2008 death of Kadie Major
- 4 signs you’re about to be hit with a big tax surprise
- Former CDC director urges Americans to wear better masks to protect from new COVID-19 strains
- Photos: The first dogs are home! Champ and Major arrive at the White House