SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) – Just when you thought you were going to be $125 richer.
Sorry, you may not be getting that Equifax data breach settlement money after all.
The Federal Trade Commission says so many people are asking for cash payments linked the 2017 data breach that there may not be enough money for everyone.
As part of a $300 million settlement, people impacted by the data breach were offered free credit monitoring or a check for up to $125.
But because of the high response, there simply isn’t enough money to go around.
The FTC is suggesting people choose free credit monitoring rather than a $125 check.
Latest News Headlines:
- Pathologist found blood clots in ‘almost every organ’ during autopsies on COVID-19 patients
- Watch Live at 12pm CST: Funeral for Mr. Mardi Gras, Blaine Kern
- WATCH LIVE: Funeral for country music legend Charlie Daniels
- Security guard charged with murder after fighting with customer over face mask rules
- CCSO closes all lanes of I-526 WB near Westmoreland Bridge as crews remove car from creek