BALDWIN COUNTY, Ala. (WKRG) — Scrawled in white paint from a rattle can, a stern warning for anyone thinking of using the aftermath of Hurricane Sally to steal.
“Looters will be shot,” the big letters warn, painted on a fence. WKRG News 5’s Debbie Williams share pictures of the warning on her Facebook page:
Although criminals often move into storm-ravaged areas, WKRG asked Orange Beach Police this weekend if there has been any actual looting. Police told WKRG News 5 that there had been sporadic thefts of property, but social media posts about looting were false.
Police across the Gulf have however been warning of scam artists acting as repair workers or debris removal services.
- Dangerous thrills? Records show safety violations at Myrtle Beach area amusement rides
- Body found on recycling center conveyor belt is not the first such case in Texas
- Activists organizing vehicle caravan to call for immigration reform, suspension of deportations
- Man charged with attempted murder following early morning shooting at home on James Island
- Charleston city leaders plant live oak tree in Hampton Park on Arbor Day