CHARLESTON, SC (WCBD/WBTW) – The State Law Enforcement Division has confirmed to Nexstar-affiliate WCBD in Charleston that there is an open investigation that includes Mother Emanuel AME Church.
SLED tells News13 they cannot provide any details about the investigation because it is an open case.
The Post and Courier in Charleston reports that the investigation surrounds finances, including donations.
Mother Emanuel is the church where Dylann Roof opened fire on June 17, 2015. Nine people were killed at a Bible study.
The events of that day were remembered this past June.
In 2016, a former employee of the church claimed she saw illegal activity going on at the church but when she spoke out about it, was fired.
Count on News13 for updates as we receive them.
- ‘I just want to be an average human’: 13-year-old science lover who lost his mom looking for a new family
- Ex-US Olympics gymnastics coach with ties to Nassar dies by suicide following human trafficking, sexual assault charges
- DCSO investigating early morning shooting at bar
- Medical Monday: Globus Robotic Assisted Spine Surgery with Dr. Steven Poletti
- South Carolina lawmakers move forward with COVID liability protection bill