MOORESVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) – Sen. Thom Tillis (R) declared victory over Cal Cunningham (D) Tuesday night as votes continued to be counted in North Carolina.
“What we accomplished tonight was a stunning victory,” Tillis said.
The incumbent senator said he was waiting to hear from Cunningham before speaking to his supporters but decided he needed to address the race.
Tillis said his victory came against all the odds. Polls had the senator down against Cunningham but the race was shaken by news of infidelity by Cunningham.
Cunningham was scheduled to speak at Democratic Party Headquarters in Raleigh but around midnight, it was announced he would not deliver any remarks.
- Groundbreaking ceremony held for North Charleston Opportunity Center
- High-risk military beneficiaries 16 and older can now receive COVID-19 vaccine at Fort Bragg
- Family wants Berkeley County coroner to open new inquest in the 2008 death of Kadie Major
- 4 signs you’re about to be hit with a big tax surprise
- Former CDC director urges Americans to wear better masks to protect from new COVID-19 strains