VIDEO: CMPD releases footage of Charlotte block party shooting that killed 4; reward up to $22,000

Nation & World News

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (FOX 46 CHARLOTTE) – The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department released video Friday from a June block party shooting that left four people dead and injured several others.

WARNING: This video may be unsuitable to some viewers

Police said at least 181 rounds were fired during the June weekend shooting where nine people total were hit, killing three. A fourth victim died after being struck by a vehicle during the ordeal, CMPD said.

At least four other people were injured as vehicles hit them as they tried to run from the gunfire.

The incident began around 12:30 a.m. June 22, 2020, as Medic responded to reports of a person hit by a car on Beatties Ford Road and Lasalle Street. As Medic arrived at the scene, shots rang out.

The four people who died from gunfire were identified as Kelly Miller, 29, Christopher Gleaton, 28, Dairyson Stevenson, 31, and Jamaa Keon Cassell, 39, police said.

“We need to speak to the individuals that you see in this video. There are no pending charges against them at this point, we don’t even know if their gunfire struck anyone, what we know is that they have information that’s relevant to this investigation, and we need to talk to them,” said Lt. Bryan Crum.

CMPD said back in June they believed the incident began as a block party following a weekend celebration of Juneteenth. About 400 people were in the area at the time of the shooting.

In a June news conference, Deputy Police Chief Gerald Smith said that about 180 casings from multiple weapons including assault rifles and handguns were recovered at the scene. Smith said the deadly shooting appeared to be spontaneous, with no indication it was planned.

Witnesses said cars had been doing tricks in the street before the hit-and-run and people in the crowd began firing guns.

CMPD worked with the ATF to link shell casings to ten guns used that night. Some of those firearms have been recovered, and even linked to other crimes, but police still need don’t have what they need to make arrests.

“Unfortunately, we’ve gotten to the point where we need to ask the community for help, our leads have run out in this case,” said Lt. Crum.

Anyone who provides information that leads to an arrest is eligible for a cash reward of up to $22,000. Contact Charlotte Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police and an ATF official provided hosted a news conference Friday to discuss the unsolved case.

LATEST HEADLINES FROM FOX 46 CHARLOTTE

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

DOWNLOAD THE APP!

WCBD News app graphic_1558160087567.png.jpg

Click for latest news and information

TRENDING HEADLINES