CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (WESH) — Two big launch pads came tumbling down Thursday morning at Launch complex 17 at Cape Canaveral.
The 20 story towers were first used in 1957. They were the launch site for NASA's famed Echo-1, the first communications satellite.
Since then, they were the home of the Delta-2 rockets that launched into orbit the GPS satellites we now use every day.
The last launch from the complex was in 2011.
They've been replaced by new launch pads used to send privately built Atlas and Falcon rockets into space.
Baby dies from meningitis, possibly...
WATCH: Veteran, 95, teaches young boy...
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Mother Emanuel AME Church celebrates 200 years
- 24-year-old man shot in the head in Colleton County
- Woman dead following boating accident near Dewees Inlet
- Officials identify victims in Hemingway homicide