CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WNCN) — A pair of would-be thieves in a stolen pickup truck tried to steal an entire ATM at a bank in Chapel Hill early Sunday, police said.
The incident was reported around 5:45 a.m. at the Bank of America at 851 Willow Drive, according to a news release from Chapel Hill police.
Two masked men — with at least one carrying a large pry bar — tried to take the ATM, police said. They attached a chain to the stolen pickup truck and wrapped the chain around the ATM.
However, photos from the scene show the ATM just fell over and the theft was unsuccessful.
Police said they do not believe any money was taken.
The white pickup truck with “NYC, LLC Underground Construction” on the side, was stolen from a construction site on Dobbins Drive, according to police.
The truck has a license plate of EZ7754. Anyone who spots the truck should call 911 to report the location, police said.
No other information was released. Police said the incident was still under investigation.
- NASA administrator says space missions on track despite COVID-19
- INTERVIEW: Jen Yuengling of Yuengling Beer talks about new Hershey’s Chocolate Porter
- Trident Medical Center lighting up pink for Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- CCSD prepares to bring back more high school students
- 2 Your Health: Study shows impact of COVID-19 on kids