According to the City of Kannapolis, Sgt. Dot Cole is the oldest living Marine.
She joined the Marine Corps during World War II in 1943.
Sgt. Cole completed her training at Camp Lejeune and was then stationed at Quantico. City officials say she primarily served in an administrative role.
Last month, another North Carolina woman celebrated a monumental birthday. Hester Ford turned 116, making her the oldest living person in the United States.
GET THE LATEST HEADLINES FROM FOX8.COM:
- Community members join together to clean Sullivan’s Island
- Celebration of life held for Gullah Society founder Dr. Ade Ofunniyin
- Rain to finish the weekend
- March of Generations rally held in Charleston
- Trident Health holds 2nd Annual Crush the Crisis Medication Take Back Day