COLUMBIA, S.C. (WCBD)- A Richland County convenience store owner is facing murder charges after he allegedly shot and killed a teenage boy.

According to the Richland County Sheriff’s Department, the shooting happened around 8:00 p.m. Sunday at a convenience store on Springtree Drive, near Parklane Road in Columbia.

The Richland County Coroner, Nadia Rutherford, identified the victim as 14-year-old Cyrus Carmack-Belton. Rutherford said Carmack-Belton died from a single gunshot wound to his right lower back.

During a news conference, Sheriff Leon Lott said the shooting stemmed from a confrontation between the store owner — later identified as 58-year-old Rick Chow — and Carmack-Belton after Chow suspected he was shoplifting bottles of water.

Deputies, however, said there was “no evidence” that anything was stolen from the store.

“Even if he had shoplifted four bottles of water, which he had taken out of the cooler and then put back — even if he had done that, that’s not something you should shoot anybody over, much less a 14-year-old,” Lott said. “You just don’t do that.”

Authorities said after a verbal altercation inside the store, Chow and his son chased the victim as he ran down the street. The teen reportedly fell but got back up and ran.

Chow’s son told his dad Carmack-Belton was armed, and Chow shot Carmack-Belton in the back with a pistol as he was running away, according to authorities.

Lott said Carmack-Belton was armed with a gun, which was later recovered by deputies near his body, according to NBC affiliate WIS.

“It’s senseless and it doesn’t make sense,” Lott said. “We have a family that’s grieving and a community that’s grieving.”

The sheriff added that there have been multiple incidents at this location in the past which resulted in Chow confronting suspected shoplifters.

“There’s been assaults on him and his family too,” Lott said. “He has not been charged with any of these other cases because they didn’t rise to the level where he should’ve been charged. Last night it rose to that level.”

Chow was arrested and charged with murder. He was booked into the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center.

The investigation is ongoing.

This story is developing.