GOOD DOG: Beaufort dog saves owner from house fire

South Carolina News

BEAUFORT COUNTY, S.C. (WSAV) – The City of Beaufort/Town of Port Royal Fire Department and the Burton Fire District says a homeowner is giving credit to his dog for saving his life.

Fire crews responded to the call 1:00 a.m. Monday. The first units on the scene found heavy fire coming from the rear of the one-story home.

According to officials, the homeowner, Brian Rand, was alerted of the house fire from his best friend, his dog Curly. Officials say Curly pressed his nose several times on the sleeping homeowner until he woke and realized his house was on fire.

“I got up and started walking- as soon as I walked by the hallway, I mean the house was overly smoky. Then I saw the flames through the side window there,” he recalled.

Rand and Curly made it out of the house safely and called 911.

Fire crews were able to extinguish the blaze within thirty minutes.

While the home may be a total loss, firefighters were able to salvage several military medals he earned in Vietnam.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


WCBD News app graphic_1558160087567.png.jpg

Click for latest news and information