MT. PLEASANT, S.C. (WCBD)- A Wando High School student is out on bond after a fight in a school bathroom last week. The footage of the incident was sent to News 2 by a concerned parent, questioning safety protocol at Wando.
According to police, the fist fight began over an e-cigarette. Police say 17-year-old Duntray Jones wanted a hit off of another student’s E-cig. In the victim’s statement to police, he says Jones punched him “out of nowhere in the jaw”. Police say after the first hit, you can see Jone put the victim in a choke-hold, slamming him on the ground, continuing to punch the back of his head. According to police, the victim never say the initial punch coming and was unable to defend himself.
A witness described the incident to police as a “premeditated robbery”. Jones was arrested for Assault and Battery 3rd degree, and given a $1,087 bond. He is scheduled to be in court again on March 1st.
News 2 reached out to Wando High School, asking for answers for parents who are now concerned about student safety in the bathrooms.
Amy McCarthy, Wando Campus Security Manager, says, “Wando has a number of safety protocols in place to help reduce the number of student incidents within the school. We have several Student Concern Specialists who are designated to provide supervision in every section of the school throughout the day. They walk the hallways, check bathrooms, stairwells, and parking lots. The Student Concern Specialists, as well as the Assistant Principals, are assigned key duty locations before school, during class exchanged, and all lunches, and at dismissal. Teachers walk the hallways and monitor bathrooms as well, and it is protocol for them to stand at their classroom doors during class exchanges in order to greet their students and supervise the hallways. School Resource Officers are also visible and available throughout the day. We have numerous security cameras located on campus that serve as a deterrent to misbehavior as well as providing accurate accounts should an altercation occur. We also encourage parents and community members to reach out directly to our staff to discuss any concern they have related to safety.”