MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WBTW) – It is officially tax free weekend, so here is a list of all of the items that can be purchased without the 6-percent sales tax being added on.
Exempted from sales tax:
- Clothing accessories
- hats, scarves, hosiery, handbags, etc.
- School supplies
- pens, pencils, paper, binders, notebooks, books, bookbags, lunchboxes and calculators.
- Art supplies for school, earbuds and headphones, flash drives, musical instruments for school, uniforms.
- Computers, printers, printing supplies and computer software.
- Bath wash cloths, blankets, bed spreads, bed linens, sheet sets, comforter sets, bath towels, shower curtains, bath rugs, bath mats and pillow cases.
Not exempted from sales tax:
- Jewelry, cosmetics, eye-wear, wallets and watches.
- A sale of an item on layaway or similar deferred payment and delivery plan.
- Rental of clothing or footwear
- A sale or lease of an item for use in trade or business
- Office supplies
- sports equipment
- video game consoles
- Mattresses and box springs
- Cleaning supplies
- Cell phones
Tax-free items can be purchased both in store and online, so if during this uncertain time you are avoiding in-person shopping, you can still get your essentials tax-free.
If you have questions on if something is deemed taxable or not, visit the SC Department of Revenue website here.