CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCBD) – A heat wave will move into the area this weekend with high temperatures approaching 95 on Friday and Saturday and even hotter temperatures arriving Sunday into the middle of next week.
Storm Team 2 meteorologist Josh Marthers said record highs are likely with some days possibly reaching or exceeding 100 degrees.
With drought conditions continuing for our area, Josh says extremely dry soil will aid in heating the air.
As the hottest part of the atmosphere starts to focus over southeastern South Carolina and southeastern Georgia, high temperatures could approach 100 degrees for several days.
“That’s a hard thing to do in the throes of summer, let alone the last week of May,” Josh said.
As the heat wave arrives, there are things you can do today to get ready for it:
- Make sure you replace your A/C filters and check to see if they are clean.
- Start watering your gardens and lawns, shade sensitive plants (things that will burn up quickly in the sun).
- Make cool plans for the holiday weekend; stay indoors, go to the movies or enjoy an afternoon of shopping.
- Grab your light-weight, light-colored clothing to help you stay cool.
- Stay out of the direct sun and take plenty of breaks from the heat.
- Be sure to drink plenty of water.
Download the Storm Team 2 weather app to help you keep track of temperatures or any heat advisories that may be issued. Apple users can click here to download the free app and Android users can click here.